I have about three thousand loose leaf papers with different recipes on them stuffed into my cupboards or stuck inside various cookbooks. I just want to have them all organinzed. This is my attempt to get them that way.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Grandma Kaye's Chex Mix

Several Years ago Dan's grandmother gave everyone a cookbook that she had made, complete with all of her favorite recipes that she had collected throughout her life. I love this little jewel of a cookbook. Don't get me wrong - there is some crazy stuff in it too, but then you come across little treats like this one and you are amazed that someone was genius enough to come up with it! I am making this treat this year and passing it out to my neighbors.


Ingredients:
¾ box golden grahams cereal
¾ box corn chex cereal
¾ box rice chex cereal
1 17oz package coconut
1 large package of slivered almonds – lightly toasted
1 ½ cubes butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
1 c. white karo syrup
1 t. vanilla

Directions:
In a LARGE bowl add the cereals, coconut and almonds. In a saucepan combine butter, sugar and karo and bring to a boil for 2 minutes (you want to time this). After removing this from the heat add the vanilla. Pour liquid over the cereal mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour onto wax paper that has been previously sprayed with cooking spray.  Let dry overnight or all day.

*If you want to add some color try adding craisins to the batch when combining the cereals.

No comments:

Post a Comment